The most common error encountered by HP printer users is the “Door Open” error message on their printer control panel or computer screen. Although the solution to this problem may seem simple, which is to close the open door of the printer, it becomes really complicated when all the doors are already closed. In such a situation, most of the users do not know what to do or how to fix this error in their HP printer. Don’t worry because in this guide we will show you how to fix the “door open” problem in HP printer but all doors are closed.
Read: How to Fix HP Printer Error 0x61011beb
Reason for HP Printer Door Open Problem
There can be many reasons behind the “door open” error on your HP printer. However, they can be classified into two broad categories: door-related and printing hardware related. Sometimes this error is related to the printer doors, but other times hardware issues can occur due to a damaged part. We will discuss these two reasons below:
1) Printer Door Problem
At first, you will say that the printer doors are closed and there is no problem with the printer cartridge door, but it is not that simple. There can be several issues with your printer’s cartridge door that can cause a “door open” error on your HP printer.
- Faulty Cartridge Door: If you have a habit of repeatedly opening and closing the cartridge door of your printer, its seal may have become loose and the door may not be closing properly. You may find that the door is closed, but the printer’s door sensor is unable to determine that the door is closed because the door is not properly aligned with the door sensor and you will eventually see a “door open” error on your HP. Printer Control Panel.
- Obstructions in the way of the door: Sometimes an unwanted substance can block the way of the cartridge door of your HP printer. Because of this obstruction, your printer door will not be able to make proper contact with your printer sensor and you will experience the “Door Open” error on your HP printer. Additionally, an obstruction in the path of the door can create a gap between the printer body and the cartridge door.
- Cracked or Broken Door: If your printer cartridge door is cracked/cracked somewhere, you are bound to get the door open error. Sometimes the damage is more serious, such as the door hinge is broken or the door locking mechanism that is supposed to lock the cartridge door with the printer body is broken or damaged. There are a variety of minor damages that can occur to the printer door.
2) Problems with the printer hardware
Printer door problems are easy to diagnose and fix. However, sometimes the “door open” error on HP printers is caused by physical damage to the printer components. There is mainly only one hardware component that can cause this error:
- Door Sensor: HP printers come with a door sensor that detects whether the printer door is closed or not. If this sensor is damaged or broken, even if the door is properly closed, you will encounter a door opening error because your HP printer is not receiving confirmation from the door sensor that your printer door is closed. The door sensor is sometimes referred to in printer hardware manuals as the door sensor activator.
As you can see, the “door open” error can be caused by printer door issues as well as printer hardware issues. If there is hardware damage, you will need to replace the door sensor of your printer, which should be done by an HP service engineer. However, to solve the error related to the printer cartridge door not working, you can follow the solutions given below.
How to Fix HP Printer Door Open Problem
In the following guide, we will describe in a step-by-step process the solution to the “door open” problem in HP printers. If you are unable to resolve this error, we recommend that you try Step 1 first and proceed to the next steps if you are unable to resolve this error.
Step 1: Inspect the door for any damage
The first thing to do is to inspect your printer’s cartridge access door and make sure there is no physical damage. The cartridge door has no cracks or damage, the door hooks (which are meant to lock the door with the printer body) are not damaged, the door hinges work properly, etc.
- If you find major physical damage to the cartridge door, you’ll need to replace the broken door with a new one. However, if the damage is minor, you can try to fix the door using duct tape.
If there is no damage to the cartridge door of your HP printer, then you should try the next step to fix “door open” error in HP printer.
Step 2: Check the Cartridge Access Door
In this step, you need to check whether the cartridge door of your printer is closed properly or not. Follow the instructions below to complete this step:
- Open your HP printer’s cartridge access door.
- Close the cartridge door, but this time make sure all edges of the cartridge door are properly aligned with your printer body. Make sure the cartridge access door is properly seated.
- The printer images shown above are for illustration only. You can find the correct way to open and close your printer’s cartridge access door by reading the Cartridges section of your HP printer’s User Guide.
If by following this step you were unable to resolve the “door open” error, try the next step below.
Step 3: Check for obstructions in the doorway
Since you assume there is no physical damage to the cartridge door and it is closing properly, there is only one thing left to check. Therefore, the next step to take is to check that there is no obstruction in the area where your cartridge door comes into contact with your printer body.
- Again, open your printer’s cartridge door.
- Carefully inspect the area around the cartridge door and ensure that there are no obstructions, such as packing material, pieces of paper, tape, etc., that may prevent the cartridge door from closing completely. Specifically, check around the area where the cartridge door contacts your printer’s door sensor. Even a small blockage in this area will almost certainly cause a “door open” error.
- If you find any obstructions, carefully remove them and close the cartridge access door.
If this step fixed the “Door open” error in the HP printer, then good, if not then try the next solution below.
Step 4: Reset the HP Printer
Since all the above steps failed to fix the “Door Open” error on your HP printer, the only solution is to reset the printer. To properly reset your HP printer, follow the steps below in the correct order:
- Turn on your HP printer by pressing the “Power” button.
- Unplug the USB cable attached to the back of your HP printer.
- Unplug your printer’s power cord from the electrical outlet, and then remove the end of the power cord that is attached to the printer.
- Wait 30 seconds.
- Plug the power cord plug back into the power outlet, and then connect the other end of the power cord to your HP printer.
- Press the “Power” button on the printer to turn on your HP printer.
- Reconnect the USB cable to the back of your printer.
Try printing pages with your HP printer and the “door open” error will be resolved. However, if the problem persists, try the last step.
Step 5: Contact HP Service Center
If all of the above steps failed to resolve the “door open” error on your HP printer, it is likely that the problem is caused by a damaged, broken or faulty door sensor on your printer. HP. In such a situation, you should contact an HP service center and allow an HP service engineer to come and repair your HP printer.
How to fix the door open issue in an HP printer? But all doors are closed is a common question we receive from HP printer users. We have tried to provide solutions to this problem which you can use to fix this error in your HP printer.