We have received reports from users saying that they are having difficulty using their HP laptop keyboard. Some of them complain that some keys like functional keys (F1, F12, etc) are unusable while some users mention that the laptop keyboard is completely useless and they have to turn to an external keyboard.
If you are one of the “victims”, do not worry, there are effective methods that will help you solve this problem. Please follow the instructions below and get your laptop keyboard repaired!
Read: HP Laptop Support
Why HP Laptop Keyboard is Not Working
HP laptop keyboard not working is a very common problem that seems to creep into every other HP laptop from time to time. The severity and frequency of these errors are especially high with older equipment that has been in use for quite a long time. There can be many reasons why this problem occurs. Some of the most common problems with HP laptop keyboard not working are:
- A faulty driver has been installed – Your version of Windows may not support this installed driver, or the driver may simply be faulty. That’s why your keyboard may not work until it is uninstalled.
- Using older driver versions – Older keyboard drivers are another possible reason for keyboards not working. You need to update your keyboard driver.
- Damaged keys – It is also possible that the keys may get damaged due to some physical reason. If the laptop is old enough, your keys may not work.
Apart from these reasons, any misconfiguration or error in the setup process can also cause this HP laptop keyboard not working issue. So you need to check every aspect carefully.
How to Fix HP Laptop Keyboard Not Working
Step 1: Reinstall Keyboard Driver
- Follow the path: Start icon > Control Panel (large icon view) > Device Manager.
- In the Device Manager window, click to expand the Keyboard category. Then right-click on the keyboard option listed here and choose Uninstall.
- When prompted to confirm the uninstallation, tap OK to continue.
- Wait for the uninstallation to complete. Then restart your computer. The keyboard driver will be automatically reinstalled once you restart your laptop.
Note: If you need to enter a password to log in to your desktop, please use the on-screen keyboard by selecting the middle icon from the three icons in the lower right corner, then choose the On-screen keyboard.
You will be able to see the on-screen keyboard. Use your mouse cursor to enter your password and click the Enter key. You should be able to see that Windows is automatically searching and updating the keyboard driver for you.
Step 2: Check Keyboard Settings
- Click on your Start button and then select the Settings icon from it. Then choose Time and Language.
- On the left side of the pane, choose Region and language, then on the right, make sure the language is set to English (United States).
Otherwise, click on the Options button as shown in the screenshot.
Then make sure that Keyboard is selected as the US.
Step 3 – Reset Keyboard Settings
To fix the keyboard not working issue, you can reset keyboard settings.
- To do so, first, navigate to the Start icon.
- Next, choose the Settings option. After that you will see Time and Language button, just click on it.
- After this process, you have to select the Region & Language button on the left side of the pane.
- Now you need to make sure that the language is set to English (United States). If you see that the language is not set to English (United States), press the Options button and make sure that Keyboard is selected as the United States.
Step 4 – Scan your system
If you still have the same problem, then it could be caused by a virus or malware. At such times you need to analyze. To do this, you need to enter your PC in safe mode and then disconnect your PC from the Internet.
Steps to Fix the HP laptop Keyboard Not working in Windows 10?
From HP Envy laptops, HP Pavilion laptops, and HP Stream laptops to HP Shagun laptops, every laptop can have this problem when used with Windows 10 or Windows 8. You need not worry about it as it can be easily fixed by following some steps mentioned below:
- You need to update your touchpad driver.
- Reinstall your mouse driver.
- After that, you need to press the function key to activate your touchpad. For this, you need to stamp a combination of functions on the keys of the keyboard to allow expansion of the touchpad’s functionality.
- You need to do a clean boot process. To fix the HP laptop touchpad not working error, all you need to do is perform a clean boot process on your PC and analyze the problem carefully.
- Now enable touchpad settings. Press the “Windows + I” keys on your keyboard and open the “Devices” option. After that, select the “Touchpad” option. Now make sure to enable the toggle under the “Touchpad” option. Finally, restart your computer and save the changes.
- Once you have enabled the touchpad driver, you need to enable the touchpad from the BIOS setup. You just need to enable the touchpad from the BIOS. Start your Windows, then click the F2 or F8, or DEL key.
- The next step is to allow touchpad in mouse settings and properties.
- Lastly, all you need to do is run the HP Diagnostic program to check whether the error persists or not.
Hope the hp laptop keyboard not working error is resolved now. If you are still having difficulty or are stuck between steps, we suggest you visit the official HP website to get help from the dedicated technical support staff to resolve your problems as quickly as possible. You can chat with them or call them on the HP Laptop Support available on its official website.