No one wants to be in a situation where you have an important video call or an online test coming up and your Chromebook camera not working. Unfortunately, Chromebook users have faced various camera-related issues.
For example, the camera refuses to turn on or displays a black screen. Also, some users see errors like “No camera found” and “Your camera is currently unavailable”. Even worse, others have reported seeing a black screen with a red light next to their camera lens. If you’re experiencing similar problems, follow us in this guide as we go through different ways to fix the Chromebook camera not working.
Read: HP Chromebook Support
Fix Hp Chromebook Camera Not Working
Here we are giving the best 11 hacks to fix the hp Chromebook camera not working. you should use it for quick solutions.
1. Restart Your Chromebook
Sometimes a minor bug or a crashed app in Chromebook can cause problems with the camera. That’s why you need to start the troubleshooting process to fix the Chromebook camera by restarting your Chromebook. However, you’ll actually have to turn the Chromebook off and back on instead of just closing its lid.
- Click the clock icon in the lower-right corner of the Chromebook shelf to open the “Quick Panel.”
- Click the Shutdown icon to shut down the Chromebook.
- Wait a few seconds until the Chromebook shuts down completely. Then turn on the Chromebook as you normally would.
2. Check the Camera Lens
If you see a blurry or halfway image with your Chromebook’s camera, you should check that the camera lens isn’t covered by anything, ie a protector screen, privacy shutter, or other accessories. You should also try cleaning the camera with a soft cloth.
3. Find the Privacy Switch
Some Chromebooks, especially HP’s, have a physical privacy switch on one side of the Chromebook. If you see a red light on the Chromebook’s webcam lens, this privacy switch must be disabled on your device. You have to slide the switch to turn off the privacy switch.
4. Reset HP Chromebook Hardware
The normal reboot procedure mostly fixes software issues. If you have a hardware problem with your Chromebook, such as the touchpad, keyboard, or camera not working, you should try hard resetting your Chromebook. Don’t worry because this won’t delete your files from the Chromebook.
Use the following steps which include Power and Refresh keys to perform the Hard reset.
- First, you’ll need to turn off your Chromebook. To do this, click the Time icon on the shelf and press the Stop icon.
- Next, you’ll need to turn on your Chromebook. To do this, hold down the Refresh key and at the same time press the Power key.
- After the Chromebook boots up, release the Refresh key.
5. Update Your Chrome Browser
Chrome browser update also fixes the camera not working on Chromebook. This is caused by a bug in the Chrome browser, which is fixed by updating it.
- Open the Chrome browser on your Chromebook.
- Click on the three-dot icon at the top and navigate to “Help → About Google Chrome” from the menu.
- Chrome browser will automatically start checking for updates. After the Chrome browser update is complete, click on the Relaunch button.
6. Update Your Chromebook’s Operating System
Often a bug in Chrome OS causes the Chromebook camera to stop working. You should regularly check for updates and keep your Chrome OS updated to fix these problems.
- Click on the Time icon at the bottom and tap on the Settings icon on your Chrome OS.
- In Settings, click “About Chrome OS” at the bottom.
- Check on the “Check for Updates” button. Your device will start searching for updates. Install updates if available.
7. Use the camera in another application
If your Chromebook’s camera isn’t working in an app, try using it in a different app than the one you’re normally used to. If the camera works fine in other apps, try updating the problematic app. Then restart your Chromebook. After restarting, try using the camera again in the problematic app. If the problem persists, then you will have to reinstall the said application.
Pro Tip: If you try to use the camera in two apps at once, it won’t work. You should also close other apps that are accessing the camera resources on your Chromebook.
8. Check Camera Settings in Chrome
For the camera to function properly on your device it is necessary to use the correct camera settings in Chrome.
- Click on the three-dot icon at the top of Chrome and go to Settings.
- Click “Privacy & Security” on the left sidebar.
- Go to “Site Settings” in the right pane.
- Scroll down and click Camera in the Permissions section.
- Now here you need to check different camera settings.
- First, if you have multiple cameras on your Chromebook, make sure the correct camera is selected from the drop-down list.
- Next, check the “Sites may ask to use your camera” option.
- Scroll down a bit and make sure the site you’re trying to access the camera on isn’t listed under “Not authorized to use your camera.”
9. Allow Camera in Chrome
Once you have set the correct camera settings in the above method, you need to make sure that you have given the camera permission in the Chrome browser to new websites that want to access the camera.
- Open the desired website in Chrome.
- Click the lock icon next to the website URL in the address bar and enable the toggle next to the Camera.
10. Reset Your Chrome Browser
At times, the Chromebook cameras may stop working due to cache issues or installed extensions in Chrome. You can get the camera working by resetting Chrome. This will clear the start page, search engine, pinned tabs, new tab page, disabled extensions, and temporary data.
- Open Settings by clicking on the three-dot icon at the top of Chrome.
- Click Advanced in the left sidebar to expand it.
- Then click “Reset Settings”.
- Click “Restore Settings to Their Original Defaults”.
- A confirmation pop-up window will appear. Click “Reset Settings”.
11. Reset Your Hp Chromebook
Lastly, if nothing seems to fix the camera, try factory resetting the Chromebook. As expected, this will erase all information on the Chromebook. So be sure to back up your data before formatting your Chromebook.
- Open Settings on your Chromebook.
- Expand Advanced Options and click “Reset Settings”.
- Next, click on the Reset button next to Powerwash. If you’re having trouble resetting your Chromebook, check out our guide on how to clean a Chromebook like a pro.
I hope you understand how to fix Hp Chromebook Camera not working issues. If you are facing this problem then you can use all hacks to fix it. If you like the post then you can share it with others. Thanks for reading this post.